For whatever reason, I have lost the ability to sleep.
And despite counting sheep, reading over 250 pages of “A Song of Ice and Fire” (Game of Thrones book #3), and forcing myself to keep my eyes shut for several minutes at a time, I still can’t sleep!
So, instead of trying to sleep, I’ve decided to write this post for you. Why? Because the only thing that can possibly be better than sleep is a chorizo and potato breakfast scramble. That’s why!
Now, there are several reasons you need to love this scramble:
- Super easy. You can’t mess up this guy even if you try!
- These ingredients can be easily substituted for whatever you have in your refrigerator. No need to grocery shop!
- A little goes a long way. This meal is very hearty, so you don’t need to eat a large amount to feel full (or stay full for a while after eating)!
- 1 large potato, diced (I used two medium-sized red potatoes)
- 1/2 cup, chorizo (cured), chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/2 tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. cajun seasoning (I use Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning)
- 1 tsp. each salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine first nine ingredients into a bowl, and mix well. Pour into skillet that is suitable for baking (I used my iron skillet). Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven and stir ingredients (this will help ensure even cooking).
- Crack the two eggs over the mixture. (you may add additional salt and pepper to the eggs if you desire) Do not do anything else to the eggs!
- Bake for another 15 minutes or until the egg appears to be cooked to your personal preferences. (I like my egg yolks runny, so I removed after about 12-ish minutes).
- Garnish with leftover rosemary, and serve with toast!